Tuesday, February 26, 2013

craving for almond puff pastry...


I remember in my Lasalle days my friends & I were crazy about online gaming... We always get together at one of our friend's house & played through the night. In fact, we tried to meet up for LAN sessions once in awhile even after graduation. It was during one of the late night LAN game session that I had my first almond puff pastry & fell in love with this flaky crunch almond puff. My buddie told me its from a popular pastry shop in Hong Kong. So whenever I have friends flying to Hong Kong, I would trouble them to get packets of almond puffs back for me!! hehehe yeah its that GOOD!! Once you try this, you will never forget how yummilicious this light almond puff is!! =)


Last week I was craving for almond puffs & there's no way I can fly to Hong Kong just to satisfy my cravings. So I went online searching for almond puff recipes. Internet & blogs are my food gurus & where I get my inspiration from. Lucky for me, I found an easy almond puff recipe by this talented mummy/cook Table for 2... or more. So this morning while my baby was still sleeping, I quickly baked my almond puffs!! =P I made some changes; the recipe is asking for fine sugar but I only have caster sugar so I just go ahead with it. & I added a pinch of cinnamon powder & almond extract for extra flavor. =P Well not bad for first attempt but still not the same as the ones from Hong Kong... Will try to improvise & improve on it soon!! Meanwhile, you can try out this yummy almond puff pastry from Table for 2... or more. 

Almond Puff 
(adapted & modified from Table for 2...or more website)

Ingredients:
1 pack of puff pastry
2 tbsp egg white
2 tbsp fine sugar (I used caster sugar instead)
80 gm almond flakes
2 tbsp fine sugar (to sprinkle)
1 tbsp cinnamon powder (optional)
almond extract (optional)

Method:
1. Roll out pastry in between 2 sheets of plastic to about 5mm thickness.
2. Mix the egg white, 2 tbsp of sugar & almond extract.
3. Peel the top plastic sheet & spread egg white mixture evenly on top of the pastry.
4. Sprinkle almond flakes over the pastry.
5. Place top plastic sheet back & lightly roll over to press almond flakes onto the pastry.
6. Remove top plastic sheet & sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar & cinnamon powder over almonds.
7. Put pastry into freezer for 30 mins to set toppings.
8. Preheat oven to 180C(fan)/200C.
9. Cut pastry into finger sized pieces & place them on baking sheet.
10 Bake for 12 mins @180C & 30 mins @140C.

Timing of baking varies depending on ovens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

happie note

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...