Friday, February 22, 2013

my love for pretty things & yummy food...


Hi all! Thanks for dropping by!! ;)

This pretty table settings was taken few years back for a cookbook Food Inspirations by Irene Jansen. It was great honor to be invited to be part of her team to style & design her very first book. It was an awesome experience for me & I am very glad that everyone loves the book! Its a book filled with amazing recipes created with love. For more info on this very talented "Singing Chef", Irene Jansen, do drop by her website www.culinaryadventures.com.sg.

I have been working for yearsssss as a graphic designer ever since graduated from Lasalle.SIA. Life was challenging fun with endless of creatives projects datelines. It was until much later I got the chance to do some sourcing for photo shoot & that opened up a totally new experience for me. That was when I know I wanted to learn more about food styling. I think its a perfect match: as a creative designer plus great passion for FOOD!! I guess I can fit into the food stylist role & get creative with food!! It's where design meets food!! =)


So I braved myself into food styling industry without any culinary background. There's so much things to learn and I was lucky to chance upon Denise Vivaldo's Master Class Food Styling Workshop organized by the famous Violet Oon. I learned so much from the course!! You really need to have an eye for details, a quick flexible mind to make adjustments especially during the shoots. The role of the food stylist is to make food look great in the finished photograph. You have to envision & styled the food accordingly to what is required by the clients. AND you have to be resourceful shopper!! Oh well, who doesn't like shopping?!!! I used to go around sourcing for props & stuff for photo shoot. Along the way I have also bought a big collection of props... =P I just can't resist myself from getting all these pretty props! And now with my new little kitchen, I can add in more baking & kitchen gadgets etc etc etc!! 

Well, what's not to love about this job? I get to shop (sourcing for props), eat & meeting talented chefs & cooks!! =P Every project brings new challenge & I really enjoy myself a lot even though its a really physically demanding job. Sometimes you need to lug a few big bags of props just for 2 shots of recipes... But the satisfactions you get from every shoot is priceless!! Especially when you see happy clients who appreciate your work.

Plus, another nice perk is to able to eat (be it before/during/after the shoot), try out new recipes from chefs etc!! How awesome is that!! =) I love love love loveeeee pastries, good food & desserts!! I have learned to appreciate food more since I started doing food styling. And being exposed to culinary industry, my passion in baking & hunger for culinary knowledge has grown. I didn't have much chance to explore my baking skills until recently when we moved into our new house. Yes!! Finally my own little kitchen with an oven which tempt me every single minute to try out every recipes I can find. I could have spend all day baking for the rest of my life if time allows... haha =P

I believe in bringing happiness & love to others through baking!! Baking allows me to be creative, just like design/styling, by mixing all the different ingredients to create a yummy project!! By creating something yummy & brings smiles to the people I care about gives me great happiness & urges me to learn new recipes & be a better baker!! =P

I hope to share with all of you on my interesting styling stories, new beautiful shopping buys & of cos my kitchen great bakes/failures!! =)

Cheers!!

picture courtesy of culinary adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

happie note

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...