Thursday, September 12, 2013

caramel popcorn vanilla cake...

caramel popcorn vanilla cake

Oh my! Time flies too fast... My dear darling Kyler has turned 2 this September!! & I have been busy planning his bday party lunch for him. This year I have decided to bake him a birthday cake... *cold sweat* 

Well, to many home bakers out there baking a birthday cake might seem easy but to a novice baker like me the thought of baking a perfect bday cake which please my boy & my guests has stressed me up quite a bit... haha so I decided to make a trial cake to test the flavor & texture. I baked the cake 2 days ahead (the "kiasi" me... in any case of cake failure I still have enough time to bake/buy another cake), frost it & store in airtight container. I decor it on Saturday with caramel sauce, popcorns & my darling's favourite angry bird. Well, hubby approved it & glad that all the guests enjoyed it too!! What a relief!! =P I only managed to snap a few shots using my phone as I was too busy with my other bakes etc. Its a very flavored vanilla cake recipe which can be used to bake cupcakes too. Try it & let me know if u like it!! =)

To me dearest Kyler, happy birthday to you my son!! You have brought us so much joy & laughters with every little thing you do. I'm glad you are my son & hereby wishing you all the happiness life can bring!! Love you always!!


Vanilla cake (makes one 8" cake or a dozen regular size cupcakes)

Ingredients:
50 gm plain flour (sift)
115 gm self-raising flour (sift)
113 gm unsalted butter
125 caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (I used pure vanilla bean paste)
115 ml milk

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 170C / 338F. Place a rack in the lower rack of your oven.
2. Sift the self-raising flour, plain flour and salt together. Set aside.
3. Beat the butter & caster sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. 
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. 
5. Mix in one third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the milk, then another one-third of flour, half the 
    milk & finish off with the remaining flour. Blend well after each addition. Do not over mix.
6. Line the pans with parchment paper/ cupcake liners. Filling it up to 2/3 of the way.
7. Bake for 25 to 35 mins (for cake), 12 to 16 mins (cupcakes) or until cake tester comes out clean.
8. Frost cooled cake with caramel cream cheese frosting & drizzle caramel sauce & popcorns to finish.

Caramel cream cheese frosting
Ingredients:
50 gm unsalted butter (@ room temperature)
200 gm cream cheese (leave @ room temperature for at least an hour)
60 gm icing sugar
80 gm caramel

Method:
1. Cream butter & cream cheese on medium high in the mixer till pale & fluffy.
2. Mix in icing sugar & caramel till well combined.
3. Keep in fridge for 2 hours to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

happie note

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...